Friday, June 11, 2010

First day in Holland

Flying overnight can be an interesting thing. You still get a meal on a plane if you fly for nearly 8 hours I guess. Mine was okay...pasta and salad and chocolate cake. I followed everyone's advice and drank lots of water, and even a diet coke. Seemed like a pretty routine flight, except that everything was repeated in Dutch: flight instructions, announcements, and there was a dutch channel for the inflight TV show)
So...Baggage is found at the baggage belt, a lift goes up and down (why didn't we think of that), an escalator doesn't make stairs when it goes up and down and I am not going to be able to understand Dutch in a week. :-)


Bertie is right there to pick me up...and all I see is a camera flash going on. :-) At least my ride made it on time, even if my plane couldn't. He takes me through the greenest countryside to his hometown about an hour away. I even manage to keep my eyes open for the ride home (seeing that according to my body, it's 3am). I even manage to eat a PBJ before I nearly collapse. After I take a 2 hour power nap (really it was supposed to be a 20 min one.), I go to take a shower. So..shower's in Holland don't have walls...I get to scquiggie the floor. Then we head into Zwolle. He tells me it's a small town...and I laugh. It rivals East Lansing during the school year.

It's a terrific old place that even has some of the wall around it. I'm posting all the pics in a facebook album. But we even visited a church that he hadn't been in all the time he's lived here. Guess it takes a visitor to see everything in your own town. :)

No comments: