Monday, June 21, 2010

Okay...Eiffel Tower Day

So..its the first full day in Paris. Seems like a year since I left home. I have figured out how to call home...and make my laptop work when I want it to, so at least I still have the connections I want. I am going to say that of the three, Paris is my least favorite so far. I am feeling very much like a fish out of water. The people have not been helpful or friendly for the most part, I can't read or even start to understand the language..and I am more tired here than in the beginning. I will be very ready to go home on Sat. Today..we started the day on a sightseeing bus tour. It's good because you see all the sights at once, but not enough to say you were really there. We ended that though at the Eiffel Tower and went to the second level. Mom wanted to go to the top, so we didn't get back on the bus and went to the top on our own. One side was sunny with no wind and beautiful, the rest was chilly...like all of this trip has been so far. We walked down from levels 2 to 1 via steps...man are my legs going to be in shape at the end of this trip. Lunch along the way back to the hotel Ham and Cheese baguette and Diet coke.



The afternoon trip was to the Notre Dame Cathedral. It has the most amazing windows. the mood inside though is completely different than in Westminster Abby London. While both are working churches with services, in France, people did not seem to respect the church at all. Flash bulbs were going off all the time, even with signs saying no flash, people were talking loudly, even while sitting next to others praying. It was very disconcerting to me. Even though I am not Catholic, I believe in the right of others to worship as they choose and tried hard not to interfere with them. I was just very sad at what I was seeing.





After that, we went to the Sainte-Chapelle Chapel (I think it's called). It's a little chapel next to the ministry of justice. I got picked for 5euro..it was my own fault though..had it in my hand, not in my wallet. It's a little chapel with amazing windows, and two narrow long winding staircases. The ceiling is 20m high and the windows were wonderful. Its a very sobering thought that things can survive from the 1200's and we can't get something to last for a year.



After the hotel fixed the shower...it was only giving us cold water...we headed out to find dinner. A little bistro a few blocks away was having live music for the summer solstice, so we had a lovely dinner to a cute band singing on the streets. I had a grilled steak and mom had roast chicken. At least I'm eating well here. Off to the Arch and the french countryside tomorrow....Night all..

Bon Jour
Dormez bien

No comments: